For those people who love to snorkel or scuba dive while on holidays, a Sea Doo sea scooter will make your time in the water so much more fun. Using a sea scooter eliminates the need for you to kick, as the scooter propels you through the water.
This means you can snorkel for longer periods of time and enjoy the wonders of the underwater world without getting tired. For scuba diving, using a sea scooter means that you’ll be using less oxygen so your dive time can be extended by about 50%.
Sea Doo Sea Scooters come in a variety of sizes and designs, and the one you choose depends on your size and weight and the type of activity you want to use it for.
To make things easier for you, we’ve broken this review into 3 different sections based on price range and the speed of each Sea Doo sea scooter. We’ve researched the fastest sea scooters in each price range to give you an in-depth review of each one all in the one place. This will allow you to easily choose exactly which Sea Doo sea scooter is just right for your needs.
Overview Of The 6 Best Sea Scooters
Here’s a general overview of the 3 different price ranges and the 2 top sea scooters in each range. You can read more in-depth reviews of each scooter further down the article.
The 2 Fastest Sea Scooters Under $250
In this price range we’re recommending the Sea Doo Dolphin as our #1 choice as it’s great for kids to use in the pool or at your favorite lake and is fun and easy to use. It runs at a maximum speed of 2 miles per hour and will run for about 1.5 hours before it needs recharging.
Our #2 choice is the Sea Doo Aqua Ranger with a slightly faster maximum speed of 2.5 miles per hour and a maximum depth rating of 30 feet. This makes it ideal for snorkeling and shallow scuba diving.
These two sea scooters are the ones we would recommend for kids as entry level sea scooters. They can be used by anyone from 8 years of age upwards.
Both scooters have an auto shut off which means that once the trigger is released the scooter will turn off and float on the water.
The 2 Fastest Sea Scooters Under $400
Our #1 recommendation for this price range is the Sea Doo GTI as it has a maximum speed of 2.5 miles per hour and a maximum depth rating of 100 feet. This makes it ideal for both snorkeling and scuba diving. It also has the longest run time of all the sea scooters we’ve reviewed which is 2 hours.
The Sea Doo Pro is our #2 choice. It has a maximum speed of 2 miles per hour and a maximum depth rating of 65 feet. This sea scooter only weighs 13 pounds which means it could easily be used by older kids.
Both of these sea scooters have the auto shut off function and adjustable buoyancy which means you can dive deeper by adding some ballast to the nose cone. These scooters are both ideal for snorkeling around reefs and will allow you to dive deeper to experience all the wonders of the under water world.
The 2 Fastest Sea Scooters Over $500
The sea scooters in this price range are ideal for more experienced scuba divers as they are not only faster but allow you to dive deeper.
Our #1 recommendation in this price range is the Sea Doo VS Super Charged Plus. This sea scooter has a maximum speed of 3 miles per hour and allows you to dive up to 100 feet. It’s the ultimate scooter for recreational scuba diving at a very affordable price.
Our #2 choice is the Sea Doo RS2 which is the fastest sea scooter of all the ones we’ve reviewed with a maximum speed of 3.7 miles per hour. It has a depth rating of 130 feet and 3 variable speeds which allows you to easily control how fast you want to move to the water.
The RS2 is considerably more expensive than the VS Super Charged Plus and is primarily designed for experienced scuba divers who want more speed to get to the dive site faster.
Now let’s look at each of these sea scooters in more depth.
Best 2 Fastest Sea Scooters Under $250
These 2 sea scooters are mainly designed for children and adults who are into recreational snorkeling and scuba diving.
#1 – Sea Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter
This fun and easy to use sea scooter is designed for children over 8 years of age but can also be used by adults. It will pull an 8 to 10 year old child around easily at 2 miles per hour. If the Dolphin is used by an adult, it still works great but will just pull a little slower. It’s fun to use in the pool or out on a lake.
How Good Does The Dolphin Work In The Pool? (video)
Let’s look at the key features:
- The top speed of this sea scooter is 2 miles per hour for children under 80 pounds. It can still propel heavier people but at a slower speed.
- The maximum depth rating is 15 feet.
- The battery runs for approximately 1.5 hours before it needs recharging.
- The Dolphin sea scooter is built for safety as it has an auto shut off function and will float when the user lets go. It also features protective grilles to keep fingers away from the moving parts and the propeller.
- This is a lightweight sea scooter weighing only 12 pounds.
- It also has a go pro mount so you can attach your go pro for some water action shots.
- This scooter comes with a 180 day warranty.
- It comes complete with battery and charge.
- The user manual has easy instructions on getting started, care and maintenance.
The Sea Doo Dolphin sea scooter is our #1 recommendation because it’s great for a fun day in the pool at home or for taking on a lake holiday. You and the kids will have a fantastic time chasing each other around or navigating obstacle courses that you’ve set up.
Can You Use This Sea Scooter In The Shallow Swim Area Of A Lake?
The Sea Doo Dolphin is ideal for this purpose. It can be used in water up to 15 feet in depth and if accidentally let go it will just float up to the surface.
Can You Use The Dolphin In The Ocean?
The Dolphin can be used in both fresh water and sea water. You just need to make sure that you don’t go any deeper than 15 feet. Just make sure that you rinse it well after use to remove any salt or sand.
How Do You Remove The Battery In This Sea Scooter?
There are 2 blue latches on the nose cone which you depress to remove the cone and access the battery. Make sure you re-grease the o-ring seal before closing the unit back up. Remember to charge the battery every 3 months if the unit is not in use.
What Customers Are Saying On Amazon
Of all the customers reviews we read about the Dolphin, almost everyone said that it was great for kids and that they had a lot of fun with it in the pool. Customers also commented on the importance of applying the silicone gel liberally every time you open and close the battery compartment to avoid any water leaking in.
Overall, there were many customers who said that the Dolphin provided hours of fun for their kids and they would highly recommend it.
#2 – Sea Doo Aqua Ranger Sea Scooter
The Sea Doo Aqua Ranger is our #2 recommendation because it’s also lightweight and great for kids over 8 years of age. This scooter has a greater depth rating so you can take it snorkeling and shallow scuba diving as well. It’s the perfect sea scooter to introduce your kids to the fantastic underwater world that they can discover while they’re out snorkeling with you.
Here are it’s key features:
- The top speed of this scooter is 2.5 miles per hour.
- The maximum depth rating is 30 feet so it’s great for snorkeling and recreational scuba diving.
- The unit weighs only 11.5 pounds and can easily be used one handed.
- It will run for about an hour before the battery needs recharging.
- The Aqua Ranger also has a number of safety features including a safety grille around the propeller, auto shut off when it’s let go and dual trigger operation.
- It also has a go pro mount so you can take great photos of all the colorful sea life that you encounter while out snorkeling.
- It comes complete with battery and charger.
- It also has a 6 month warranty.
- Here is a combined manual for the Aqua Ranger and Dolphin. When you purchase the Aqua Ranger has its own manual.
This is the perfect entry level sea scooter for both kids and adults to take snorkeling and shallow scuba diving. It’s safe, lightweight and will give you hours of fun exploring reefs and other interesting underwater locations.
Is There A Weight Limit For This Unit?
There is no weight limit for how much weight the Aqua Ranger can pull however, bear in mind that the heavier the person, the slower the unit will propel forward. It functions the best towing people under 100 pounds but will work with heavier weights, just slower.
What Are Customers Saying On Amazon?
Most customers were delighted with how well this worked both in the pool and in a lake. Most people purchased the Aqua Ranger for their kids to use but some said that it would also pull an adult along but at a slightly slower pace. A few customers suggested getting a second battery as they take a while to recharge.
Top 2 Fastest Sea Scooters Under $400
These sea scooters are designed for adult snorkelers and recreational scuba divers.
#1 – Sea Doo GTI Sea Scooter
The Sea Doo GTI sea scooter is ideal for scuba divers and snorkelers as it can go to a depth of 100 feet. We chose this as our #1 sea scooter in this price range because of its versatility and light weight as well as a very affordable price.
Watch The Sea Doo GTI In Action Scuba Diving The Coral Reef
Let’s take a look at the key features of the GTI:
- The Sea Doo GTI can run at a maximum speed of 2.5 miles per hour.
- It’s maximum depth rating is 100 feet making it ideal for scuba diving.
- It weighs only 18 pounds so it can easily be used with one hand.
- The GTI will run for about 2 hours before the battery needs recharging which is great for longer dives.
- It also features waterproof circuitry and adjustable buoyancy which means you can use it on the surface or add some ballast to dive deeper.
- It comes with a 180 day warranty.
- It also comes with battery and charger and user friendly manual.
This is a great sea scooter for trolling around the reefs and exploring the underwater world. It’s light enough to be used by kids but will pull along an adult just as easily. This will give you hours of fun on your next holiday when you go snorkeling or scuba diving.
Will The Sea Doo GTI Float?
This sea scooter will definitely float if you don’t put any ballast into the nose cone. You actually have total control over whether you want to swim on the surface or dive deeper. The unit itself will not pull you under. To make it buoyancy neutral, you need to add some weights into the nose cone.
How Long Does The Battery Take To Charge?
Initially you should charge the battery overnight for its first charge. After that it should take about 4-5 hours to charge. If you’re going to be storing the unit for any length of time, it’s suggested that you charge the battery once every three months.
What Are Customers Saying At Amazon?
There were quite a number of positive reviews for the GTI with people saying that it was great for snorkeling around reefs and taking on holidays. A lot of customers commented on how it allowed them to conserve energy so that they could spend longer in the water.
#2 – Sea Doo Sea Scooter Pro
The Sea Doo Pro is our second choice in this price category as it’s not as fast as the GTI and you cannot dive quite as deep with it. It’s still a great sea scooter especially for the price. It’s excellent for snorkeling and shallow scuba diving and can be used by both kids and adults.
Video On How Good The Pro Works For Snorkeling
Here are the key features:
- The maximum speed of the Sea Doo Pro is 2 miles per hour.
- Its maximum depth rating is 65 feet.
- It weighs only 13 pounds so is great for kids and easy to use one handed.
- The Pro will run up to about 1 hour before you need to recharge the battery.
- It also features adjustable buoyancy so you can use it for snorkeling on the surface or shallow diving if you add some ballast to the nose cone.
- The Sea Doo Pro comes with a 6 month warranty.
- It comes complete with a battery and charger.
- See the easy instructions Pro manual here.
The Sea Doo Pro is ideal for taking with you if you’re going snorkeling along the reefs or want to do some shallow scuba diving. Both kids and adults will have fun with this sea scooter.
Can You Take This Sea Scooter On An Airplane?
The Sea Doo Pro is perfectly safe to take on a flight in checked baggage. It’s too large for carry-on. The battery inside the sea scooter is sealed lead acid not Lithium Ion so airlines don’t have a problem with it. You can also get TSA clearance paperwork from Sea Doo.
What Are Amazon Customers Saying?
Most customers were happy with the Sea Doo Pro however some did comment that it was not as powerful as the GTI. Apart from that most people thought that it was fun to use both in the pool and for snorkeling around reefs.
The 2 Fastest Sea Scooters Over $500
The sea scooters in this category are for more serious scuba divers as they’re faster, more powerful and have some additional features.
#1 – Sea Doo VS Super Charged Plus
The Sea Doo VS Super Charged Plus Sea Scooter is the ultimate in under water propulsion. It’s a great unit for serious scuba diving and has a variable speed control so that you can control how fast or slow you want to go. This is really useful if you’re scuba diving around ship wrecks or want to see more of the underwater wonders that you’re exploring.
Fastest Sea Scooter For Adults At The Best Price – See It In Action
Key Features Of The Sea Doo VS Super Charged Plus:
- This sea scooter has a maximum speed of 3 miles per hour so you can get to your destination fast.
- It has a maximum depth rating of 100 feet.
- The battery will last around 1.5 hours before it needs recharging.
- It weighs only 18 pounds so can easily be used with just one hand.
This Sea Doo features a reinforced nose cone to protect the unit during transport and in rough environments.
- It also features a variable speed which you can adjust to suit your needs.
- It also has adjustable buoyancy so you can use it for both snorkeling and scuba diving.
- The Sea Doo VS Super Charged Plus comes with a 6 month warranty.
- It comes complete with the battery and charger.
- Instruction manual for easy set-up and maintenance.
This is our #1 choice for the all round fastest sea scooter available from Sea Doo at around $500 which is excellent value. It’s the ultimate dive propulsion vehicle and was also rated #1 overall by Diving Science and Technology (DSAT). It’s the perfect choice for anyone who wants to do some serious scuba diving and will save you lots of energy in the water and get you to where you’re going much faster.
Can You Buy A Spare Battery For This Unit?
It’s definitely possible to buy a spare battery for this and most Sea Doo sea scooters. It’s actually a very good idea so that you can extend the run time when going on a longer dive.
What Are Customers On Amazon Saying?
We read quite a lot of reviews that said they loved using the Sea Doo Super Charged and that it was great for both snorkeling and scuba diving for both adults and older kids.
#2 – Sea Doo RS2 – Fastest Sea Scooter For The Price
Although the Sea Doo RS2 is faster than the VS Super Charged Plus, we made this our #2 choice because it is considerably more expensive and is aimed at experienced scuba divers who want a fast underwater propulsion vehicle on their next adventure or diving spot.
It has some great features which include:
- Maximum speed of up to 3.7 miles per hour.
- Maximum depth rating of 130 feet.
- A run time of 75 minutes.
- This unit weighs 19 pounds so it’s a little heavier than the other units we’ve discussed.
- A choice of 3 rotational speeds for the ultimate control under water.
- A unique self-filling ballast hull so that you can choose which type of buoyancy you want. There are drain holes on the hull which allow water to freely enter so that the unit achieves neutral buoyancy almost instantly. Once you reach the surface again, the water expels so that the unit floats.
- Down-force spoilers which allow you to navigate safely in a stable straight line.
- A gear locking system which allows for trigger-less cruising.
- An ergonomic trigger position to make it easier when you’re cruising under water.
- Removable glide fins.
- A tow rope attachment point.
- Powered by environmentally friendly Li-ion batteries which are detachable and can be recharged externally.
- They take about 4 hours to recharge.
- Also includes a Go Pro mount for taking great under water photos.
- Comes with the RS2 series manual.
The Sea Doo RS2 is the fastest sea scooter which we’ve reviewed and is primarily designed to be used by experienced scuba divers and on longer snorkeling trips as it will get you to the reef much faster than the other models.
The RS2 has the ability to automatically fill with water to assume neutral buoyancy making it really easy to dive deeper and faster. You can also adjust the buoyancy by using the four ballast weights in any of the four insertion slots on the nose cone.
This sea scooter also has some additional features such as D-ring attachment points so that you can attach any accessories which you may need. It also has a battery status indicator so that you know exactly how much charge you have left while you’re diving.
What Customers Are Saying At Amazon
We found some excellent reviews for the RS2 from people who enjoyed using it for scuba diving around wrecks even in strong currents.
Which Sea Doo Sea Scooters Are Best For Kids?
The recommended minimum age for both the Dolphin and the Aqua Ranger is 8 years of age. If you’re just wanting a fun toy to use in the pool or on a lake holiday the Dolphin is ideal. If you’re interested in doing some snorkeling with your kids however, then you would be better off with the Aqua Ranger as it has a maximum depth rating of 100 feet and will run equally well on the surface as it does under water.
Both of these sea scooters have safety features such as auto shut off and safety grilles to protect fingers from the propellers. When your child lets go of the trigger, the sea scooter will shut off and will just float on the surface.
In saying that, all models of Sea Doo sea scooters have the auto shut off function and will float on the water when turned off, however the RS2 can be run without having to hold down the trigger and is only recommended for more experienced scuba divers who are looking for a faster unit.
The maximum recommended minimum age for the GTI, Pro and Super Charged models is 16 years of age, mainly because they are a little heavier.
What Are The Recommended Safety Measures For Using Sea Doo Scooters?
All Sea Doo scooters are completely safe to use but there are certain measures you should take when you take your scooter out into the water. Here are the recommendations:
- If you have long hair, you should tie it up to keep away from the device.
- Make sure the area you’re going to be using the scooter in is clear of hazards and be aware of boats and other water users.
- Make sure you’re familiar with the sea scooter’s functions and battery life before taking it out on a dive.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged before taking the scooter out and ensure that you have enough battery left to return to the surface or the shore.
- Use an approved personal flotation device when going out snorkeling in deep water.
- Make sure you scout unfamiliar water and be aware of the weather conditions and any dangerous currents that may exist in the area you intend to dive or snorkel.
- Taking these safety measures will ensure that you will have a fun and rewarding time in the water.
Can You Travel Overseas With Your Sea Doo Sea Scooter?
In most cases the answer is yes but you will most likely need to put your scooter into checked luggage. Most of the Sea Doo scooters are powered by maintenance free, sealed valve regulated lead acid batteries which are completely safe to take onto an airplane.
You should contact the airline before traveling to ensure that you won’t have any problems. It’s also handy to carry a copy of your instruction manual and if necessary, a copy of the TSA clearance documents which are available from Sea Doo.
How Should You Store Your Sea Doo When You Won’t Be Using It For A While?
Your Sea Doo should be stored in a dry place away from direct sunlight so as to preserve the plastic housing and the battery. You should fully charge the battery once every three months if you haven’t been using it for some time.
Always make sure you rinse your Sea Doo really well before storing it especially if you’ve been swimming in salt water and have been using sunscreen as this may damage the plastic with prolonged exposure.
Summary Of The Fastest Sea Scooters For Kids And Adults
We hope that these reviews have been helpful in helping you to make up your mind on which Sea Doo sea scooter is just right for your needs.
To recap, for use in the pool and exceptional fun for kids both the Dolphin and the Aqua Ranger make excellent choices. They are powerful enough to pull the kids around the pool effortlessly and will also pull an adult but at a slower speed.
Just remember, as with all Sea Doo scooters, to ensure that you use the silicone gel around the battery compartment seal every time you put the battery back in. This is vitally important as it stops water getting into the battery compartment.
If you’re wanting a great sea scooter for snorkeling or shallow scuba diving, the GTI and the Sea Doo Pro might just be what you’re looking for. They’re both excellent value and will ensure that you really enjoy your snorkeling. Always remember to rinse your Sea Doo really well after using it in sea water as the salt will eventually corrode most things.
For the more serious scuba divers, you can’t go past the Super Charged and the RS2. The Super Charged is a great value model and will really make your scuba diving trips effortless and fun. If you’re wanting a bit more functionality and power, then definitely the RS2 would be the ideal choice for you.
No matter which model of Sea Doo sea scooter you choose, you’re bound to have a lot of fun with it over the summer months.